How To Get START Programs Up And Running
1) Make a backup copy. Run STARTCPY.PRG (Its on your START disk) and follow the instructions. You will need to have a blank disk ready.
2) Write protect your original START disk. Move the tab on the back of the disk so that you can see through the hole in the disk case.
3) Store the original and use the backup hereafter.
4) Most of the files are compressed so that we can fit more programs on the disk. Programs with the text ARC before the extension (such as SAMPLEARC.PRG) must be uncompressed before they can be used. We use Double Click Software's DC SEA utility to create self-extracting archive (ARC) files. To un-ARC a program, simply double-click on the filename.
5) When the dialog box appears, choose Extract.
6) When the file selector appears, choose a destination disk (hard disk, RAM disk or floppy disk) for the uncompressed files. If you are not sure how to use your file selector, refer to your ST manual or your replacement file-selector documentation. Do not attempt to use your START disk or backup copy as a destination disk - there isn't enough room to hold the files. Make sure the destination disk has enough space for the uncompressed files, whose sizes are given below:
CARD_ARC.PRG - 159K
DSKDRARC.PRG - 85K
FRCUDARC.PRG - 3K
MGAMNARC.PRG - 26K
RAMPLARC.PRG - 43K
STATSARC.PRG - 48K
CAMC_ARC.PRG - 8K
SIDE_TWOPRG.PRG - NOT ARCED
ZERO_ARC.PRG - 80K
CITYARC.PRG - 381K
FOLDRXXX.PRG - NOT ARCED
HAZELARC.PRG - 41K
PNHEDARC.PRG - 24K
SPEEDARC.PRG - 8K
STEFXARC PRG - 1lK
LOAN_ARC.PRG - 21K
STARTCPV.PRG - NOT ARCED
FONT_ARC.PRG - 94K
The screen goes blank, then the files are listed as they are extracted, and marked "OK" if the Uncompression is successful.
Problems with your START disk? It is possible that the disk has been damaged in transit. To receive a replacement copy, follow the procedure below.
Subscribers: Call Subscription Customer Service at (815) 734-6309 on weekdays 7:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Central Time. Your subscription will be confirmed, and a replacement disk will be sent to you.
Non-subscribers: Send your original START disk to START Disk Replacement, 544 Second St., San Francisco, CA 94107. A replacement disk will be sent to you.