Look for books that discuss either why you should upgrade or how you can get more power out of your PC. Tomes on these topics are harder to find than books about PC's in general. However, your search will be worthwhile. Try these volumes on building your PC's muscles.
- Supercharging Your PC, by Lewis Perdue: Osborne McGraw-Hill. 2600 Tenth St., Berkeley, CA 94710; (800) 237-0900
- Maintaining, Upgrading, and Troubleshooting IBM PCs, Compatibles, and PS/2 Personal Computers, by Mark Minasi (due out in May); COMPUTE! Books, Chilton Book Company, One Chilton Way, Radnor, PA 19089; (800) 345-1214
- The PC Configuration Handbook, by John Woram; Bantam Electronic Publishing, Bantam Books, 666 Fifth Ave., New York. NY 10103; (212) 765-6500
- Upgrading and Repairing PCs, by Scott Mueller; Que, 11711 N. College Ave., Carmel, IN 46032;(800) 428-5331
- The PC Upgrader's Manual, by Gilbert Held; John Wiley and Sons, 605 Third Ave., New York, NY 10158-0012; (212) 850-6276